Spicy Shrimp Taco
Nothing says Tuesday like tacos! These easy to make tacos are not only great on Tuesday, but they're also great any day of the week for lunch or dinner.
My first time having a freshly made tortilla was on my travels in Dominican and Republic, then again in Mexico. I was stunned how fresh tacos could taste so much better than shop-bought ones, so much so that I knew one day I would have to try and re-create my own.
When it comes to taco fillings the options are endless, I decided to fill mine with grilled shrimp which paired well! If you want to know how I made my spicy shrimp tacos just follow the recipe below.
Ingredients | Makes 4 tacos
1 1/2 Cup (375g) plain flour
1/4 Cup (60g) cold butter
1/2 Teaspoon salt
1/2 Teaspoon baking powder
1/2 (125ml) Cup boiling water
12 Whole raw king prawns or shrimp (peeled and deveined)
1 Teaspoon paprika
1 Teaspoon cayenne pepper
Chilli powder or Chilli flakes (season to heat preference)
1 Teaspoon garlic powder/granules
1 Teaspoon onion salt/powder
1 Teaspoon brown sugar (or honey)
1 Teaspoon salt
Optional filling :
Pico de Gallo salsa (red onion, lime juice, tomato, parsley, salt)
Method | Prep: 30 minutes | Cook: 20 minutes | Dough rest time: 30 minutes
1. To a bowl add flour, salt, baking powder, and mix together. Add cold butter and using your fingertips rub it into the flour until the flour has become a very fine crumb.
2. Add boiling water to flour. Using a spoon or/and your hands mix in water until a rough dough is formed. *Be careful not to burn your hands.
3. Transfer rough dough to floured surface. Knead the dough for 5 minutes until a soft dough ball is formed. *Dough should have bounce and should be slightly sticky, however if it is too sticky add more flour. If the dough is too dry add a few splashes of water.
4. Transfer tortilla dough back into the bowl. Cover the bowl with a damp cloth and allow it to rest for a minimum of 30 minutes.
5. In a separate bowl combine shrimp, paprika, cayenne, chilli, garlic powder, onion salt, brown sugar, and salt.
6. Heat pan or grill on medium-high. Grill shrimp on each side until fully cooked. Once shrimp has cooked set aside.
7. After 30 minutes of resting cut tortilla dough into 6 equal balls. On a floured surface, using a floured rolling pin individually roll dough balls into a thin flat circle . *The tortilla should be almost transparent once rolled out. Do not worry if you can't get the perfect circle.
8. Heat up grill or pan on high *pan must be screaming hot. One at a time, grill tortilla on one side for 1 minute until it bubbles up, flip the tortilla, and grill for a further 40 seconds. *Keep cooked tortilla in a wrapped tea towel to help it stay warm.
7. Fill tortilla with shrimp along with additional filling and serve. I hope you enjoy it!
#prawn #shrimp #taco #salsa #shrimptaco #prawntaco #mexican #mexicanfood #spicy #spicyshimp #spicyprawn #foodpost