Spicy Maple Fried Chicken
In this recipe I will be showing you how to make my spicy maple fried chicken which is a scrumptious twist on the classic southern fried chicken. The sweetness of the maple syrup combined with the spiciness of the chilli is a perfect glaze on top of a tender buttermilk fried chicken. If you are like me and you love fried chicken trust me when I say that this is nothing like you have ever tasted before!
My spicy maple fried chicken can be served on a stack of fluffy waffles for brunch, or served with creamy mash potatoes for dinner. So whether you're preparing this on the weekend afternoon for some friends, or even dinner with family this dish will definitely satisfy everyone's taste buds.
Ingredients | Serves 4 People
300g Chicken Breast fillets
1 Cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp Smoked paprika
1 tsp Onion powder
1 tsp Garlic powder
1 tsp Cayenne pepper
1 Grounded chicken stock cube
Pinch of salt and pepper
Frying oil of choice
Spicy Maple Glaze
1/4 small red onion thinly diced
1 tsp Soy sauce
40ml Canadian maple syrup
1 Small birds eye chilli thinly diced(or 1 tbsp of chilli flakes)
Pinch of smoked paprika
slices of birds eye chilli or chilli flakes
slices of spring onion (optional)
Method | Prep: 15 minutes | Cooking time: 30 minutes | Extra time: 1 hour minimum buttermilk soak *For best results soak the chicken overnight.
1. Rinse and pat dry chicken with a paper towel. Using a sharp knife cut the chicken into 8 equal strips. Place chicken strips into a bowl then season with salt and pepper.
2. Cover chicken in buttermilk and allow it to soak in the fridge overnight or for a minimum of 1 hour.
3. In a bowl add flour, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, chicken stock cube and mix until well combined.
4. Remove chicken from the fridge and set aside. In a separate bowl beat eggs until the yolk and whites are combined.
5. One by one shake excess buttermilk off chicken then dip chicken into egg wash, coat chicken in flour mix, and then set aside on a plate. Repeat this process until all 8 chicken strips have been coated.
6. Heat frying pan on medium-high and add enough oil to cover the chicken *temperature should be around 180 degrees C.
7. Using tongs slowly lower chicken into oil and fry for 5-7 minutes or until golden brown. Set aside chicken on a cooling rack or on a paper towel covered plate. *Fry chicken in two batches to avoid crowding the pan as this can result in a soggy chicken batter.
8. In a non-stick pan add diced red onion, chilli, soy sauce, maple syrup, paprika, and cook on medium-low heat until sauce thickens.
9. Using a spoon drizzle sauce on fried chicken or using a pastry brush glaze chicken with sauce. Serve chicken on a stack of waffles or alongside mash potatoes and add garnish.
#chicken #buttermilk #maplesyrup #friedchicken #spicymaplefriedchicken #paprika #cayenne #pepper #chickentenders #garlicpowder #friedfood #birdseyechilli #foodpost