Crispy Honey Chilli Beef
Have you ever wondered how your favourite Chinese restaurant creates such crispy batter, that remains super crispy, even when embedded in a luscious sauce?!
Well, no more wondering, today is the day you find out!
In this recipe I will be sharing with you how to make the crispiest beef along with its famous honey chilli sauce. Now let me warn you, this recipe does consist of multiple ingredients, HOWEVER with my easy to follow guide you will be serving up a delicious plate of crispy honey chilli beef in no time.
When you can't go to your favorite Chinese Restaurant bring your favorite Chinese restaurant to you with this recipe!
350g Beef steak (rump, sirloin or frying steak can be used)
1 tablespoon Dark soy Sauce
1 Minced garlic clove
130g Potato starch (corn starch can be used however potato starch makes a crispier batter)
1 tablespoon salt
Honey Chilli Sauce
1 Spring onion sliced
2 Mince garlic cloves
Thinly sliced carrot (julienned carrots)
Thumb of ginger minced
1/4 Small white onion thinly sliced
2 Teaspoon white wine vinegar
Juice of half a lime
1/2 cup sweet chili sauce
1 Tablespoon dark soy sauce
1/4 cup honey
1/3 cup ketchup
Chilli flakes (add to heat preference)
Pinch of white pepper (optional)
Method | Prep: 30 minutes | cook time: 40 minutes
1. Using a sharp knife cut the beef into thin strips. Transfer beef into a bowl of water and allow it to sit for 5 minutes. *This step is important as it removes redness and stops the beef from burning during the frying process.
2. Drain as much water as possible from the bowl. Add garlic, soy sauce, and rub it into the beef. *Add an optional tablespoon of cornstarch or potato starch for a crispier result.
3. In a separate bowl combine flour and salt then whisk in eggs until a smooth batter has developed.
4. Transfer your beef into the batter and mix until each strip has been coated.
5. Heat a frying pan on medium-high heat and add enough oil to cover beef strips.
6. Carefully place individual beef strips into the oil and fry for 5-6 minutes or until cooked through. *Beef does not need to be crispy at this stage.
7. Set aside beef on a cooling rack or paper towel. Increase the temperature of the pan to high and re-fry beef for a further 3 minutes or until crispy. Set aside beef as you prepare the honey chili sauce.
8. Heat wok or large frying pan on medium heat. Add spring onion, white onion, carrot, ginger, garlic and lightly fry until ingredients have slightly browned.
9. Add sweet chilli, honey, vinegar, soy, lime juice, ketchup. Also add a sprinkle of chilli flakes, white pepper, and cook until sauce thickens. Then add in and stir crispy beef. Leave this to cook on a medium heat for an additional 3 minutes.
10. Now it is time to plate up! You can serve the crispy honey chilli beef with fried rice or noodles. Enjoy!