Coconut Curry Prawns
Curry glorious CURRY! There is nothing like a yummy bowl of it served with rice. Whether it is a good Thai green curry or delicious chicken tikka masala, the options are endless. However, most people tend to shy away from making it from scratch due to the long list of ingredients and the dreaded hours in the kitchen.
Do you want to know how to make the most delicious pescatarian-friendly curry in well under an hour, with ingredients you most likely already have in your kitchen? Okay great! You do. This recipe is just what you need!
Here is how I make my quick and easy buttery, coconut enriched, Jamaican-inspired coconut curry prawns.
Ingredients| serves 3-4 people
200g Raw king prawns
400ml Tin coconut milk
30g/2Tablespoons butter (optional)
1 Tablespoon Jamaican curry powder
1/4 Tablespoon Indian curry powder
1 Diced spring onion
Thumb of minced ginger
4 Minced garlic cloves
1/4 Diced white onion
1/2 Thinly chopped scotch bonnet (use a whole one for extra heat)
1 Tablespoon All-purpose seasoning
1 Tablespoon brown sugar
1/2 Tablespoon dried thyme
1/2 Tablespoon parsley
1/2 Tablespoon smoked paprika
Old Bay seasoning to taste (or any seasoning salt of choice such as Maggi cube)
cooked boiled potatoes
sliced bell peppers
*Please note: You will need a non-stick pot or pan with a lid.
Method | Prep: 10 minutes | Cook time: 25 minutes
1. Heat a non-stick pan on medium-low and lightly cover pan with oil and butter. Fry garlic, ginger, white onion, scotch bonnet, and spring onion until lightly browned.
2. Add Jamaican curry powder and Indian curry powder to the pan. Stir curry powders into the ingredients already in the pan and allow it to cook for 3 minutes.
3. Increase pan to medium heat. Add the coconut milk, all-purpose, brown sugar, thyme, parsley, paprika, Old Bay and, stir until everything is combined.
4. Place lid on pan and allow the curry to cook for 10minutes. *Add optional ingredients at this point.
5. After 10minutes of cooking, add prawns to the pan and place the lid back on. Allow the prawns to cook for 6-8minutes or until prawns are pink and fully cooked.
6. Serve curry prawns with fluffy white rice and enjoy!